Tuesday 21 February 2012

Taste of home in a package

There have been times where Dustin and I really do miss the food back home. As I have stated before, going grocery shopping here is really expensive. When we cook at our apartment we usually cook something that we would normally cook at home, or as close as we can get to it. Just for one dinner and a possibility of one day leftovers it costs well over 50 dollars.

My friend Sophie has told me about a mall around here that does have American things. I am going to take a look but I am just not sure I want to pay twice the amount I normally would just to have the taste of home. We found Craft Mac and Cheese and it's three times more here than it is in home. We shall see when I go there later.

We have been so blessed with packages from our family and friends in the states. I never thought I would miss something as easy as mac and cheese but I do. Things like sausage, bacon and black beans. They do have Johnsonville sausages here but they are almost 10 USD and I find that outrageous, a pack of bacon is 15 USD . Just too much for me to pay, I thought I was sucking it up when I started buying things like cheese here.

Our friend Jinsoo is visiting us (he lives in Rhode Island) and he has given us a taste of home, not just in package form but just a familiar face is warming. After I got back from RDA he said that he had a package for us. We opened it up and there was a load of things from him and our friends. Instant mac and cheese (microwave), marshmallow fluff, cheese wiz, pork rhines, candy corn, jolly ranchers and then we got a new bottle of whiskey that is just now out in the us. I was amazed at all the stuff he brought over with him.

We just got an email from our neighbor about how she wanted to send us some things from home. Her daughter is a girl scout and I have been buying cookies from her since we have lived there. Now I know that is one cookie I can't get here and our neighbor told us she set aside some boxes for us and wanted to send us things. No cans but any dry goods we could think of. She too has lived over seas and knows what it is like to be so far away from everyone at home and away from the comforts that we are so use to. Such a sweet woman whom I do miss a lot.

What I am trying to say is that I am thankful for everyone who has sent us things, there are too many of you to name by name but you know who you are. You have given us comforts to us while we are here for the next 8 months. We did make it though the first couple of months and we are fine with out it but I guess it's all in our minds that if we just get a taste of home we are comforted but we can also miss home a lot more.

I know that packages cost a lot to ship over, this is why I am so surprised that so many have gotten us things that we miss. This is not bashing anyone who has not sent us anything and this is not asking for anything. I am just saying I am surprised because we were not expecting it but yet we have gotten some things from home and we are very thankful.

This trip has made Dustin and I more appreciative of the things we have at home in the US and how cheap things really are compared to other countries. We are thankful for the experience here in Singapore but once we go home, we will not miss how much it costs to have simple things like mac and cheese and beer.

1 comment:

  1. I must say that the expense included beer and or wine, so that does add to the cost. I forgot to say that lol.

    ReplyDelete