Tuesday 13 December 2011

Public Restrooms....

Being here for the length that we have it is inevitable for me not to use a public restroom. Back in the states it's always a gamble, but most of the time the public rest rooms are just nasty (this does not include restaurants/bars ect). In Singapore everyone knows it's illegal to litter, so as you all can imagine, the city is very clean if not the cleanest city there is in the world.

Because of this my expectations of a public restroom in Singapore was high. Most restaurants have bathrooms around here, and if they do have them they are decent. If the restaurant does not have a restroom (crazy I know) then it is in the building that the restaurant is attached to (a public restroom).

It was mentioned to us in passing by the NCompass agent that she was glad that most restrooms around here had 'western toilets'. I thought nothing of this, thinking that because Singapore was such a melting pot that the toilets would be ones I am use to, Wrong. They have what is called a Squattie Pottie (thetas what I call it anyways).

Some may know what I am talking about but if you don't google it or I can explain the best I can. It's a toilet that is basically a hole in the ground, it's not like an actual hole, its a working toilet but what would be the seat of the toilet it's level with the ground. There are little places you put your feet and you squat and do your business. (I have only ever used two because I had to pee so bad that I couldn't wait for a western toilet to open).

With this being said it made sense why there were signs in the western toilet stalls saying don't squat on the toilet, this included a picture of a person on top of the toilet seat squatting. Because of this note I look every time and there have been some toilets I go to and there are foot prints on the seat of a western toilet!

Enough about the squattie potties. I have to say that the public restrooms are NASTY here. For this being the cleanest city in the world I am very disappointed in how the upkeep of public toilets are. Some I walk in and the smell hits me like a mac truck, BLAH! The floors are wet, either with water or something else to where I have to roll up my pants if I am wearing pants (not usually, too dang hot).

I will say that the worst once I have used is at Orchard Towers because the Harrys at that location does not have it's own bathroom and I dread using the public one ALL the time. I love the bar, that is where the house band plays and the lead singer is an Asian Boy George (refer to my mobile uploads). Any MRT restroom is nasty and some mall ones are as well.

I don't understand it. The city hires a lot of people to take care of the streets and puts laws in place so no one litters but they don't take care of their public restrooms? Its bad enough that people walk around here coughing and sneezing out in the open spreading germs and crap, now I have to worry what I am going to contract by going in and using the restroom out in public! (Hand Sanitizer is with me at all times)

No comments:

Post a Comment