Friday 20 January 2012

Riding for the Disabled in Singapore From the beginning

Everyone knows that I have been volunteering at RDA (riding for the disabled) and have been loving it. Every 8 weeks there are usually a new set of students. When I started I was at the end and only had two sessions and the students already knew what it was all about. After the holidays we started with new students, well new for me. (When students go though the program we can recommend them for coming back or not so some of the students are repeaters.)

The first day was exciting. New kids, new abilities. We got the chance to pick what kids or horse we wanted to work with. Sophie and I picked a smaller horse and looked up the kids disabilities. We had a girl and a boy. The girl had Cerebral Palsy or CP, she was also deaf (had a hearing aid in one ear) and the boy had Autism. We realized that with CP the girl could be in a wheel chair which would be a challenge but one I was ready for.

After we looked over the students files we had a mini meeting of what the day was going to entail. We were going to have the kids meet the horses, get on the horses and get a feel for them. Lucky for Sophie and myself our students had experience so we figured we didn't have to do too much coaching.

9:30 hit and we were gearing up ready for the kids. All of them came off the bus and were walking toward us. Yes I said All of them were walking. Sophie and I didn't see a wheel chair. We looked and found our girl who was the first rider. It turns out she wasn't in a wheel chair. So we fit her with a helmet and asked her if she was ready to ride, and boy was she. She got up, grabbed our hands and we went toward the ring. We told her that she had to wait until her horse got up to the steps. She nodded and was excited. This little one could not speak but she knew what was going on around her.

Once we get children on the horse we have to prompt them to say walk on, so we do a count "1, 2, 3 walk on". We did not have to say this to the girl. She could not talk but she rose her arms up a little bit and shook them twice for walk on. She was a pro. Sophie and I were truly impressed. We didn't have to remind her what to do, she knew the commands for whoa by pulling on the reigns and leaning back a little.

We walked around the ring a couple of times and after going though the motions we go her pads to put in front of her so she knew she could just tap on the commands. Once we put it on there she knew what to do. She did not want help from anyone at any time. She knew what she was doing and let us know.

Her turn came to an end and we went to the second child, the boy. This boy reminded me of a very younger version of one of my students back home. He was very spacey and just in his own world. He was excited to go riding. Once we took his braid out that was on the top of his head (it's a religion thing, and only a person of Punjabi religion could touch his hair) fitted him with a helmet he was ready, he wanted to be first. Once it was his turn he got on the horse and was ready to go. In a very loud voice he said walk on! After that he became spacey.

Sophie and I found ourselves repeating saying hold your hands up, stay on the yellow marks, point your heels down, and we had to keep telling him to look forward and not pay attention to what was going on with others, we also had to tell him to stop singing and talking about movies. It was exhausting but I stood my ground and everyone was impressed of how long I could go, I told them I had experience with one student from my old job back in the states (Yes Kara Jacobs you know who I am talking about).

After the kids had gone we debrief and talk about the horses and the kids and how everyone did. This is when we found out why our little darling girl was not in a wheel chair. Apparently she was in the program last year and was in a wheel chair, after a year she was able to walk. Apparently her and her mother both had the same motivation and physical therapy did wonders for her. I was in shock to the point of almost tears. This was so moving, and proves that just because a child has a disability does not mean that they are stupid. This girl is smart and determined and it will get her far.

After we debriefed we went to lunch at the polo club and caught up on how everyone was doing. It was great.

The second day our girl was not there, she was most likely sick. So we just had our boy and it was a challenge. The different thing about the day was that there was an obstacle course where the students would learn how to steer the horse. It took all we had just to get the boys hands up and hands on the right color, prompting him to say woah and walk on, so steering was not going so well. We took a trail walk and at the end of it, he finally held up his hands! The little things that make you excited!

Because we only had one student Sophie and I were free for an hour, until we were approached and asked if one of us could help out with another side walker, so I volunteered. This little boy had autism as well but was very sweet. He kept repeating that his horses name was Shamus, and he was a brown horse and that we were going to go for a walk in the jungle. We had to prompt him a couple of times for his hands but all in all it was a good in the end.

Once we were debriefing we were all talking about our kids. One caught me off guard a little bit. One person said that she had a hard time to get her child to make eye contact with her. I asked what the student had and she said autism. Now I am no expert but one thing I do know is that most autistic children do not look anyone in the eyes. The person in charge of the lessons said it would be challenging but just try to have them look at the side walkers nose or forehead. I wanted to say something but there were so many voices that I didn't. I wanted to tell them that they can't force an autistic child to look them in the eyes, if the child could they would. If the subject comes up again I may say something.

After it all we went to the polo club for lunch and caught up again, Sophie had just gotten engaged and of course, all of us being girls, we wanted to hear the entire story.

I am truly blessed with the girls from RDA and all of our friends here. I am really enjoying RDA, I know I have said it a million times but it makes me feel a little closer to home because it reminds me of all the kids I taught at home. I can't wait to see how the kids in this 8 weeks change and grow to become better riders!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear of such a great initiative for people with disabilities in Singapore. I'm sure these kids appreciate the chance to experience an activity so livening, especially with such sweet creatures. The part about the girl who is no longer in a wheelchair is so moving and inspiring. It's awesome what you, as a foreigner, are doing for the disabled in Singapore.

    Definitely following your blog. Do continue posting!

    Also, as a Canadian PR of Singapore living away from her immediate friends and family, I can understand what you're going through in your Jan/29 post. Sometimes you can wonder if friends really do care, and the fact is they always do. It's just that geography and time differences can make this care seem visible to you. You can always reach out to remind them that you've been thinking about them, through e-mail or by sharing it on this blog or Facebook. When they see it, they'll know you haven't forgotten them, and miss you even more. Just live your life and be happy, those who put the effort to stay in contact are the ones who deserve to remain in your life. Don't worry too much sister, and always remember to smile! :)

    ReplyDelete