Friday 25 November 2011

Volunteering at the Institute of Mental Health

When I signed up for this volunteer job I was not sure what I was going to get into. It just explained that we were going to exercise with the patients and help the move. I figured it was to help the physically disabled get mobile, but I was wrong.

I took this job because back at home I worked in the special education department of a high school I really enjoyed it. I was in what was called adaptive PE and this was a PE class for the mentally and physically disabled. It was a lot of fun and I would do it again if I could. Once I saw this volunteer job I knew I would enjoy it.

When I got to the institute we were to meet in the main lobby. I got there and was expecting an older person in charge who has done this before. The person who was in charge was a boy who was about 18 years old. He had no experience at this job but was very positive. I told him what I was involved in when I worked at home and he didn't say much, just "oh well thanks for coming out today".

When we got into the gym the doctors and nurses were all there. There was also a group from a bank company that was there for the day doing volunteer opportunities instead of working that day (I do think this should be implemented back home for most workers). I was anticipating helping the patients exercise and working with them. The first activity we were involved in but we were just cheering them on, the nurses were doing the job I thought we were going to do, walk beside them and show them what to do. After the second person went, I decided to step up and join one of the patients and the nurse. The nurse was surprised and I said that I felt comfortable, so she let me do what she was doing. I was in my element.

The patients took a break, we passed out water and snacks and helped them open up the food packages and took their trash. After that we got time to sit down with some and talk and there was one man who was very sweet. His smile and the way his eyes lit up reminded me of one of my students (the man was older, about 65 years old) but the way he was cheering on everyone and being such a sweet man made me think of the kids I worked with back at home and it warmed my heart.

He said that he was there because his mom and dad died a long time ago in the war (didn't tell me what war) and that he had a daughter that moved out of Singapore to California US. I told him I was from the US and he didn't believe me, He thought I was from the UK. He told me that he had a hard life and he had no where else to go when his parents passed away so he went to the home (that's what he called it) and that he had plans to go to California and reunite with his daughter.

I am not sure what his disability was but I know it was something. He was so funny, cheering everyone on during musical chairs and when I got out he gave me a high five and told me I did well and to cheer on with him. I was just amazed at his personality.

After the activity were over I said my good byes and he wanted me to come back next time. I told him that I would if I was able to sign up for it though the program. He was very excited. One of the doctors came over to me as I was gathering my stuff and said that he noticed I was talking to the man I told you about. The doctor informed me that they don't really know his story, it changes every day. He said that they found out that the man does have a mother but she had recently passed and so the man has been depressed most of his time at the home. They say they see excitement in the man when he is at the gym doing activitys but when he gets to talking he starts to get sad and depressed and starts spouting off stories that were not true compared to the stories he told the day before.

The doctor also informed me that they need more volunteers to do arts and crafts and things like that. I may do that as well and go back for gym but the only reason why I would not is because this institute is so far away. If I had a car it would be different. It is about a 30 minute train ride, from the MRT station it was about a 15 minute walk. I don't mind the walk so much but it looked like it was going to rain and I was HOT! I did decide to take a cab back to the MRT station and only had to pay 3 sing. We will see I would love to go back, maybe I will just figure out if the bus goes there and take the bus from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment