Wednesday 30 November 2011

Volunteering for SANA

SANA stands for Singapore Anti-Narcotics Association. When I signed up for the job at this office I was not sure what to expect. The job disruption stated that I would be archiving photos for the association that would help the general public and historical moments for the association. For some reason I thought I would be archiving photos that had to deal with drugs, I mean it does say Anti-Narcotics.

I took the 25 minute train ride and Lucky for me the building was right next door. I got into the office and was shown a computer and a ton of boxes with photos. There must have been five boxes just for me. There were three other people there as well doing the same thing (they had boxes as well). We were told we were going to scan in the photos and file them according to event. Easy enough, I have done this many times. They also said lunch and afternoon coffee was on them so again, I didn't mind.

I was to spend from 10am to 5pm scanning photos. At first I didn't think we were allowed to go on the Internet or anything so I was not entertained, but lucky for me my scanner was fast and there were card games on the computer. Once the guy in charge of us walked by he told me that I could go on the Internet and listen to music, do whatever to entertain myself while I was scanning, bonus! As I was looking at the photos, there were no pictures of narcotics, it was pictures of the past events that they had for volunteers and at risk kids, dating all the way back to 95' (yes I know not that far, but still)

For lunch they treated us to fast food, which I was less then pleased with but I just got a sandwich and coke light so I was set. Once we got back from lunch I hit a wall of being tired, thankfully coffee was on its way. The guy in charge had to leave early and told us that there was another person who wanted to talk to us about another volunteer opportunity.

Once the time came to leave we had a briefing of what this woman wanted. She explained that there was a camp where we would work with at risk children to help prevent them take the wrong path. Its working with younger kids and it's only one day, but it's all day. What they were explaining was doing activities with the kids, being like a big sister/brother and trying to get the word out about how using drugs is bad. This reminded me of the program that is in the public school system in Loudoun County, D.A.R.E - Drug Abuse Resistance Education.

This was in the elementary schools and an officer would come in and talk about how drugs were bad and we would do different activities with him and each other leading up to our fifth grade play about how drugs were bad (If you are reading this and you went to elementary school with me you know what I am talking about and thinking of that damn play, makes me laugh as I am typing this, god we were NERDS)

When I told the person who is heading this volunteer opportunity she was very excited because she was researching D.A.R.E on the Internet and told me what I just told her. So needless to say, I am going to keep my eye out for it on SG cares because for some reason they can't just put me on the list and I am most likely going to do this. I am looking forward to it and am sure I will meet lots of people.

I also volunteered to go back and help out with more archiving. I felt so bad because the guy in charge was so stressed and I told him that I didn' t really mind doing it and ensured him he does not have to buy lunch for me next time, or coffee. He was grateful and will be getting back to me.

I will also say all of the places I have volunteered at so far, I have been the only Caucasian person there. I find it odd but oh well, I don't mind it and get to hear all about different people and their lives in Singapore. One guy I worked with today, he is 18 and just finished his secondary schooling and is going to take his SATs. He asked me about the Virginia Military Institute and I got a little excited because my stepbrother is currently going there. In Singapore once the young boys are 18 and out of secondary school they must enlist in the military and stay for 2 years until they go to 'university'. This guy really wanted to go to the states but was not sure if funds would allow him. (sorry that was a side note I thought was interesting and something you all should know).

Again, this is such a wonderful experience and I am so thankful for each one. It gives me a new perspective :)

No comments:

Post a Comment