Sunday 20 November 2011

What comes with the food

Hawker stand or food court (which is considered a hawker stand) are mostly where we eat when we eat out. It's cheap and so good. Of course, we are in Asia and you can imagine we eat a lot of rice (we are okay with that!). If you really know us you would know that we eat a lot of rice back in the states, more so than anyone that I know.

What we have noticed since we have been here is that if you eat at the place, you get a lot of food. If you order it to-go or here they call it take-a-way it's a little less and they tend to charge a little more (by thirty cents). If we end up getting rice and some kind of meat, we not only get the meat and rice, but a fried egg, one cucumber slice, one tomato slice and a leaf of lettuce Now, when we order the food and eat it at the place sometimes we also get miso soup to go with it, when we order take away we don't get the soup. It's a lot of food for a little price either way.

At first I thought that the fried egg mini salad thing was only at the certain stands/food courts we eat at but it is not. If you want local food (not so much Indian) you will get at least a fried egg. I am not sure why fried egg is served with most things but I will say that it is good. There was a night when Dustin decided to cook up some rice only and then said to me that he was going to go local and fry up an egg, I thought it was funny.

You also get a choice to put sauces on your your meals. Dustin has been here before so he did tell me about chili sauce. You can get chili sauce at McDonald's, and he brought home some packets for me to try. At first it was spicy and I didn't really like it when he brought it home. He on the other and was in love with it. When we first got here and ate chicken rice (a common dish) I was looking for soy sauce, because I was use to putting this on my 'Asian food' back at home. Dustin, of course, put chili sauce on his food. I wasn't a fan of the soy sauce so tempted to try the chili sauce. I will say that it was VERY hot. I can't have very hot foods, it just messes with my system and gives me acid reflux. So to me this chili sauce was VERY hot, but now looking back on it, not so hot.

I then started to try the different chili sauces. Every place has their own version of it and Dustin usually trys it before me to see if I can handle it (such a good ficane). Over the past 2 months I have began to fall in love with Chili sauce, even the one from McDonald's. We were saving up packets of chili sauce from McDonald's so we could take it home and some friends/family members have requested it. Well, we went to Fair Price (our local grocery store) and bought the Fair Price brand Chili sauce. I will say that it is wonderful, it tastes like the one from McDonald's but a little spicier and I have found myself putting this sauce on everything. We have almost gone though the whole bottle and we have only had it a month! I will say that I expect to bring it home because I do use chili sauce in my amazing meat loaf and I feel that this fair price chili sauce will make it even better!

I will also say that since being here I have been braver about eating spicy foods. Don't worry, I shipped a huge bottle of tums with me just incase and it did come in handy the first two weeks of being here. I have been eating spicy food and now not relying on tums, I am sure when I get back home some spicy things that I neglected to try, I will try when we get back. But not all the spicy things, I am still fearful of some them (DOA wings from main street wings)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you guys are doing well and you are trying new things!! We miss you guys too much, but we are so happy you are having fun and making the most of it! Keep the post coming!!

    Love,
    Kara-

    ReplyDelete